9 Ways To Keep Your Computer In Shape

By Angel Apurillo


The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
- Wernher Von Braun

Computers are essential machines that almost all of us are dependent with. We reckon on it so much to do our jobs, tasks and leisures. We play on it. Work with it. Socialize with it. Have fun with it and so on. In other words, some of us might say that computers are our life.

But I observed that when a computer crashes or start to bog down, some people are so much affected by it. Its like their life stopped. They become irritated and frustrated. They can't do their tasks and it ruins their day.

I felt the same way when I was still new in using computers. I smash the mouse down, I easily get angered and my mood turns negative with just a minute of lagging.

On the other hand, I learned to manage my frustrations on a non-working computer. I spent money to have it fixed and then I learned to treat computers like any living thing. Just like having a friend or a pet, we need to work together harmoniously.

From then on, I always make sure that my computer gets the attention it needs so that when I need it, it will be there for me.

Here are some of my practices and solutions I'd like to share in having our computers in check.


  • Know your computer like you know yourself. You have to know its strengths and weaknesses. Learn how to use it and its purpose to maximize its usage.
  • Be careful with installing software. Make sure to only install programs that you will be using. Don't bloat the computer with software that will slow it down.
  • Acquire information for your computer and apply it. Learn how to troubleshoot your computer. Troubleshooting not only saves you money, it also gives you knowledge and personal satisfaction.
  • Protecting the computer is also needed in order to have longevity. Like human beings protect themselves from various diseases. We take vitamins and minerals for protection against viruses. Computers need it too. You need to install protection software on your computer so that you can use it longer.
  • Regularly clean your computer inside and out. Its like taking or giving a bath. It helps refresh the system and perform well. Clean the fan regularly, defrag the system and scan the system for it to execute maximum performance.
  • Be responsible when I use computers especially when on the internet. Don't let your computer acquire viruses by going to websites that can harm it. Or don't download an email attachment from an anonymous sender.
  • When using flash drives, make sure its scanned and uninfected. USB drives usually carries viruses that are passed on from one computer to another. Just like STD.
  • Turn off your computer when not in use. Just like any living thing, it needs rest too. Its not only restoring personal settings and refreshing programs, it saves up electricity as well.
  • Be aware that computers are user dependent. It does what its master told it to do. So, you are responsible to whatever happens to your computer. Accept it and learn how to fix it.

I use an old laptop that I named Happy. I use her in almost all my computing needs like surfing the internet, editing pictures, playing games and most especially writing. I can't afford doing these tasks without Happy.

With this list, Happy performs faster than other laptops that I have handled. It boots faster and performs averagely. I understand that it's old and all but it can give me surprisingly effective performance when I need it.

You can try these simple suggestions in order to make your computer run faster and effective. Just like my laptop, Happy.

Kapish!