Do Nothing Day

By: Angel Apurillo


You gotta know when to be lazy. Done correctly, it's an art form that benefits everyone.

 - Nicholas Sparks
We always want to move. Like do something or go to places and experience stuffs we want. We want ourselves to become busy to impress ourselves or make a sense of accomplishment in ourselves.

I'm guilty of it. There are so many things that I want to do and want to go to. I even forget to eat and sleep just to finish a task or a job that needs attention.

So, when I first heard and seen the video of the song of Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song, an idea came into my mind. And I want to share with you this idea...

Do Nothing Day

A day doing nothing. Its basically to give meaning to the word. A lazy day, literally. I did it before and it relaxes the mind and body while resting. I missed doing it now with the kids and all but if there is time, why not?

This is how it works. I leave reality for one day. I turn off my cellphone or ignore messages. I don't check my email and as much as possible I don't check my social networks. Nothing to worry. Nothing to do. Just chillin' at home and do whatever you want but moving and brain is not included. This is their holiday.

Here are some of the things to do on a Do Nothing Day that works for me:
  • DVD Marathon. This is the time I catch up with movies and series I missed. I sit on our couch and prepare the movies I want to watch and for a day, I'll be a couch potato.
  • Sleep. Although sleep catch up is still not recommended, if there is extra time, I sleep. The body needs energy and its a good time to recharge.
  • Read a book. There are no holidays for learning something and having your imagination work. I enjoy it all the time. You work the creative part of the brain and not the logical.
  • Shower or bath. This is what I do when I'm in a hotel or any resort. I want to spend time taking a bath. I like to clean myself because it gives my body a self applied spa. Just lying down in a bathtub, while reading something gives me the relaxation I want.
  • Listen to music. If there is something I want to do non stop, its listening to music. It relaxes my mind and soul.
Even if we are on our rest days or vacation, we tend to do something that needs to be finished. So basically its not a Do Nothing Day.

Just try it. I'm pretty sure you'll like it than going to places or doing something worthwhile.

Kapish!