What's Next After Graduation?


By Angel Apurillo
"A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success."
- Robert Orben
In the Philippines, March is usually the graduation month of most of the students here. Most of your newsfeed on this month will either say "Congratulations!", "We are proud of you!" and a bunch of celebration here and there.

I don't have anything against those things. I mean, we all love celebrations. Its just that I want to point things how education should be prioritized. I know that some of you might disagree but education is really important.

I was too late to realize it. And I don't want you to make the same mistake I did. So in this article, I want to share what is the reality in the corporate world.
  1. If you are a nursing or a caregiver graduate, its not true that you'll land a job with the same expectation you had when you enrolled in. Its not a guarantee that whenever you graduate with a degree of something, it lands you a stable job.
  2. Its also false to think that whenever you graduate, you'll land in a position that will put you in a higher position I'm not sure if I knew a famous person that made it to at least a supervisor after graduation. Even Jesus did not went up straight as a God without being crucified.
  3. I totally hate the discrimination of employers. I mean those who are looking for graduates in high end or exclusive schools. It doesn't mean that if they are a graduate of that school that they will bring money to your company. Its ridiculous.
  4. Work with passion. It just means that you work from your heart. Don't work for money (although you are truly working for it), do it with your will to help. And you'll see... you will reap the rewards.
  5. Enjoy. Work with happiness in your heart. Don't tell yourself that you just need this job because it makes you fulfilled or it takes care of the obligations. Just enjoy and be happy.
These are just the things I experienced. I wanted to be a freelancer but I think I still need to be leashed to a company that will lend me their money for my contributions. This will do for now.

Kapish!