Don't Make Promises

By Angel Apurillo

"The best way to keep one's word is not to give it."
 - Napoleon Bonaparte

Promises, as they said, are made to be broken. And its true. Promises and other acts of swearing, in the long run, will be broken.

I remember when I was a kid, I often say "I promise" to my friends that I'll be keeping their secrets. But after a few childish fights and arguments, the secrets will then be revealed.

And then I realized when I came of age that its really hard to keep promises. Even the simple ones. I broke several promises I made with my family, wife, kids and even friends.

And it hurt them even if it was not my intention. I made them cry, angry and frustrated at me. And it also hurt me. More than them.

And from then on, a simple rule in life that I learned...

Never promise anything. If it can't be avoided, make sure you do and fulfill that commitment.

Its really hard to fulfill a promise. Especially if its an out of this world request. So don't fall into a trap that will hurt them and especially you.

Telling no to a promise can also hurt but at least you made yourself clear. Time will just come when you will eventually fulfill it.

And if it can't be avoided, just tell them that we'll do our best to do it. Not committing but needs time to be fulfilled.

Kapish!