First Memory

By Angel Apurillo


"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us."
 - Oscar Wilde

This is the first entry that I'm gonna make for this blog. A newly created thing so that I can share to you my life. I don't care if its gonna be interesting to you, but the sole purpose is to save this for future reading.

As I recall, in the beginning, there is only a bright light. Very bright that its really blinding. That was my first memory.

Then the next thing I remember, it was when I was learning how to draw and write. I was very happy to play with my playmates outside with different games and toys.

All I know is that I perfectly lived a normal toddler.

But then, my father told  me a story about me that gave me a haunting but funny experience. And this how it was told...

My father loves to watch boxing matches. And at that time, its really rare to watch boxing on national television. Its like a holiday whenever there is a boxing match thats aired on local TV. Pay Per View hasn't been invented then.

So his attention was at this program. My mother went to the market to buy some food to cook.

I was still a baby and disposable diapers hasn't been invented yet so I was using diaper cloth. You know those cloths that covers up the genitals and not really absorb pee and poo. I was using those.

And since my father got his full attention at this boxing match that God knows who were fighting, he just left me in my crib to play.

After a few rounds of boxing, of course there are commercials for boxers and audience to take a break. He checked on me and 'lo and behold...

"Oh shit!" My father uttered in the local tongue.

He found out that I'm soaked in my own poop. And even putting some of it in my mouth.

F*ck!

He cleaned and washed me before my mother came back from the market and just told the story to her. He also don't know if I swallowed some of my poop but nonetheless I was safe.

Up to this day, he tells the story of my naughtiness and the experience that gave me yellow teeth. I was too young to control things and I do what all babies do. Explore and discover.

But one thing I learned, as fathers, is that you need to pay full attention to children because you can't really know what they're gonna do.

I keep my eyes and attention to my kids and make sure they are safe and sound. I don't blame my father for what happened to me back then but its a good lesson to learn from.

Kapish!