How Will I Quit Smoking?

By Angel Apurillo


"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousand of times."
- Mark Twain

Its really hard to stop a habit that has been part of our lives. Maybe because it gives us satisfaction or it gives us easiness in life. Whether its a good or a bad one, we really don't care because that habit satisfies us.


In my case, I have a really bad addiction to smoking. I have been puffing cigarettes for several years. It started out as a curiosity and peer pressure. I have this "I only live once" attitude, so I said to myself a cigarette won't kill me. And then one stick led to another and before I knew it, I consume almost a pack a day.


And then one day, I realized that I'm not Superman. I am not immune to any sickness and disease that is caused by my smoking habit. Lung cancer, kidney failure and others that are incurable.


I still want to spend moments with my wife and children so I decided to end this habit. Once and for all and as soon as possible.


Why Do I Smoke?


I learned from one of my mentors that whenever there is a problem, we need to analyze the root cause of it. We have to ask why its happening and why is it keep on happening. Keep asking why until we get the primary cause of the problem.


In this case, I'm gonna ask myself. Why am I smoking? Here's what I came up:

  • Remove the after taste whenever I eat or drink. The smoke soothes my mouth and removes the stench of the food or drink I took.
  • To pass time. I do this whenever I wait for someone or somebody. I just can't keep myself idle for a few minutes.
  • To socialize with friends. It creates bond and friendship whenever we smoke, Sometimes I even meet strangers while smoking.
  • When thinking and rethinking. Whenever I need a new idea or something needs to think about, I smoke. It helps clear my mind.
  • To relieve stress from work, family and other aspects of life. When I have a bad day, smoking lightens me up and help me remember to stay strong.
Resolution

Now that I have answered the "why's", I'll be solving the questions so that I can stop the problem. Here they are:

  • I'll chew a mint gum to freshen my breath. If this doesn't work, I'll brush my teeth instead.
  • I have to do something when I'm idle. I'll install some games on my phone or read an e-book or blog post instead of inhaling smoke. This time I'll be inhaling information.
  • I need to choose my friends. Non smokers, the better.
  • Instead of contemplating, meditate.
  • To cope up with stress, I'll write, sketch or read.
These are just my simple solutions to eliminate my addiction to smoking. But my strongest opponent is myself. I need a lot of determination and hardwork to conquer this problem.

I'll be giving you an update after a month so that I can look back to this post and prove that this plan works. For now, its not yet proven.


If there's a will, definitely there's a way to stop smoking.


Kapish!