How To Manage Tasks

By Angel Apurillo


"Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
We all love finishing tasks. I love it. It gives me a sense of completion whenever I accomplish my tasks and chores. I pat my back and say to myself "Good job!"

But whenever we are unable to complete our tasks, we tend to get irritated and worried. We even can't sleep because we think about the things that were left unfinished. We extend longer hours just to meet the deadlines of these tasks. And before we know it, our jobs are all piled up.

Sometimes these tasks are also half complete or incorrect. So we have to do a re-work that would waste time. Time that should have been dedicated to another job.

With this article, I'll share some of my techniques on how to manage tasks effectively.
  • List down all tasks that needed to be done. Usually, I use sticky notes on my cellphone, tablet or computer to list my tasks. But a pen and little notebook will be handy as well.
  • One task at a time. One task is all I need to get going. Once I begin, I never look back. Once done with the first, I just go to the next and so on. Before I know it, all are done.
  • Prioritize. I start with the most important and urgent tasks at the beginning of my day. That way, my mind is fresh and eager to work.
  • Multi-task if necessary. I only use this technique when I'm idle or waiting for another job from another colleague or email. Its helpful to finish other tasks.
  • Ask help. If there's anything that I can't understand or unable to work on, I ask help from the experts. There's nothing wrong with asking help so don't be bothered with it.
  • Reward yourself. I always reward myself with either chocolate or ice cream whenever I feel that my job is done.
There are several techniques on how to manage tasks. These are just my tips. You can follow them in order or randomly. Anyway you want it.

Tasks are given everyday. It doesn't end so don't worry about it. Everyday is a new day and every job can be done. Jobs and tasks are only done when we're dead.

Enjoy that tasks you are given because it means somebody trusts you.

Kapish!