Idle

By Angel Apurillo


"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day."
 - A.A. Milne

We all have idle times. Time that you don't have anything to do. Maybe while waiting or procrastinating on something, we stop and do nothing. A time of nothing to do but expecting something to do. Or time is too short to do something productive. That's idle time.

I have a lot of it. All of us have a lot of it. We just don't know how to make it productive. We all know there is something to do but for some reason, we don't do it. We tend to do something different that we like. And that is the dilemma. Being unproductive.

To hell with being unproductive. This is me and I want to do my tasks at my own pace. And if I don't want to do it, you can't do anything about it.

With this article, I can suggest some things I do that fill out my idle time. This will either make me unstressed or just kill the idle time.

Filling The Gaps

Gaps are idle time between tasks. It just means you are waiting for something to do but you either don't want to do it or waiting for something. Here are some things I do to fill in the gaps without using any gadgets or instruments.
  • Reflect. Reassessing myself by thinking what I want to do after all of the work. Thinking of rewarding yourself when you're done and completed the job.
  • Daydream. Think about happy thoughts. Anything that would make me happy is what I do the most. I like thinking about my children finish school and have their own lives. Having me and my wife spend our time in a yacht or beach somewhere nice. Anything that would make you happy with just the thought of it.
  • Watch. Watch the people. Watch the world around you. And ask what is happening. Can I do something? And from there, I can create some ideas to better the world we live in.
  • Breathe. Enjoy the air around you. I don't care if its fresh or not but feel it go in and out your lungs. How it soothes the body and the mind. It helps relax both.
  • Listen. Closing my eyes and listening to whatever sound that I can hear. Small talk and laughs of people. The chirping of the birds or the swaying of the leaves while the wind blows are very soothing.
These are just a few things to try when idle. Later on I can add some other things if I want to have some physical activity. For now, this list is just for the mindful ones just like me.

I'm sure its gonna work for you just like for me.

Kapish!