Managing eMails

By Angel Apurillo


"I read our emails every day and I know there are people out there who think I'm awful."
 - Dan Abrams
eMailing is the greatest form of communication at work. You can save it and have others read your explanation. Its like you're talking to other people only in writing.

Before, email for me, is nothing. I just use it for opening accounts and for the sake of having an email address.

I don't really give importance to it because I'm really not involved. Sometimes, emails are just announcements that I'm really not part of. When I receive emails at work, I see to it that if I'm not involved, it should be deleted.

But as I get up the ladder of the corporate world, emails are really important. And with this article, I can site my points about emails and how to cope up with it.

Electronic Mails

eMails are the letters of the modern generation. Communication is really important especially if you're not around the office. So here are some things I learned and to help you manage the dreaded thing:
  1. Understand. Understand mails just like you are reading a love letter. Miscommunication happens if its not understood. So better understand every word and don't just scan it.
  2. Reply Right Away. If its not gonna take you ten minutes to reply to an email, replyto it immediately. So that you can do other things that can be productive and it will not be left as your action items.
  3. Concise. When replying or composing emails, be concise and straight forward. Don't make any flowery explanations or looping replies. Just go straight to the point and hit the send button.
  4. Don't Be Emotional. eMails are supposed to be emotionless. Don't take it personally. Just do what is told and you should be good. If you'll be full of emotion and everything you read is personal, you're gonna have a bad time. Lots of it.
  5. Delete. If its nothing important and it has nothing to do with you, delete it right away. You can ask somebody to forward it to you again if you eed it. But don't linger with promotional email unless you don't have anything to do.
These are just a few things to work on your email. I'm not an expert but that's what I do with my emails. And its working for me. Hopefully, it will work for you somehow.

Kapish!