How To Fight Burnout

By Angel Apurillo
"I have a theory that burnout is about resentment. And you beat it by knowing what it is you're giving up that makes you resentful."
 - Marissa Mayer
Burnout is the feeling of exhaustion from doing a routine. Its like we are tired of doing the same work or task everyday. We tend to look for something new to do but we are leashed to do this task because we have no choice but to do it.

I felt the same way when I was a call center representative. I answer complaints from customers and I try to resolve this everyday. Although, I love to help people, it seems tiring to to do it when the customers are not helping themselves.

I almost threw my headset against the computer screen and just walk out. But I realized that I cannot lose this job. There are many things and people that depend on me.

So what I did was to fight burnout and not let it consume my inner being. And I'll be sharing some of the things that helped me overcome burnout.
  1. Find A Hobby. Look for something you wanted to try. Shoot pictures, sketch a drawing or things that will make you go to work and have something to look forward when you go home. Maybe you can also have a hobby at work or colleagues to combat the feeling of burnout.
  2. Find A Partner. Find a colleague that will make you go to work everyday. People that you look forward to mingle and work with. Like school friends that you want to be with even on a weekend. It can be a special someone or just simply a friend that you wanted to be with for the rest of the day.
  3. Daydream. When you feel that you're tired and down, we can always dream about things that would make us happy. It can be a place you want to go to or a somebody that gives you inspiration. Dream about it and I'm sure when you come back to reality, you'll be re energized again.
  4. Be Happy. Do anything you wanted to do. Go to the beach, pamper yourself or just simply relax. Give yourself a breather from all the stress at work and of life and just enjoy the moment. Enjoy that you are alive.
I thank this burnout feeling because it made me realize and do something I really wanted to do. To write and share my thoughts. And this is also the reason I started my blog.

Hopefully, this'll help you relieve that burnout feeling.

Kapish!