Sorting Importance Versus Urgent Tasks


"Most things which are urgent are not important, and most things which are important are not urgent."
 - Dwight D. Eisenhower

A lot of tasks are done everyday and even you are the best in managing it, some of it will still spill and forgotten. I'm guilty of this. Sometimes I can't really identify which is which.

For example, what needs to be replied in an email, a request for something from a co worker or a reply from a question from the boss.

Tasks that needs to be done urgently and importantly. All of it actually are both urgent and important. Its a matter of perception of a person which he/she will do first.

And I learned how to manage it. I'm still on the stage of trial and error and how it will work for me best. But I'll share some things that I learned from what I experienced.
  • Reply to the boss first, everyone else comes next. Pretty self explanatory.
  • If it needs your attention and answer and you know you're responsible for it, then work and get it done. Its a priority depends on your behavior and attitude towards work.
  • If it doesn't take 10 minutes of your time, then reply or do it.
  • Make time for tasks that will eat time.
  • Don't be a hypocrite and ask questions if necessary and needed.
These are just some things I learned. So its up to you to absorb or deflect it. I just want to share these simple advices to you.

Kapish!