My Holy Week


The Philippines is mostly composed of catholic and christian. It has deep and rich culture on how they celebrate its religion's holidays. Christmas, All Saint's Day, Feasts and others that give praise to God. We also have different ways in giving thanks to Him and all his blessings.

But there is another holiday that commemorate Jesus Christ's passion to save us all. And at this time, sacrifices, penance, fasting and others are common at this time. Its the Lenten season and the Holy Week.

The season starts on an "Ash Wednesday" and the Holy Week starts at "Palm Sunday". Both ends on "Easter Sunday."

And with this article, I'm going to share my activities on how I spend my Holy Week. I work at these days and I make sure, that at least, I do one of the listed below:
  1. Watch Senakulo. I used to enjoy live plays of the passion of Jesus Christ relived by some actors on stage. And we can stay up late for these plays. These shows lasts from Holy Wednesdays to Good Fridays.
  2. Join The "Alay Lakad". Its a walk for penance from Quiapo to Antipolo. Some devotees do it from start to finish barefoot. I only do it from our house to the said endpoint. Done during Maundy Thursdays.
  3. Watch Biblical Films and Shows. I enjoyed watching the old and classic "Ten Commandments" and "Jesus Of Nazareth". But I acquired some DVD copies of "The Bible" and "Passion Of The Christ" which I enjoyed watching every Holy Friday. I now include inspirational films from my list like Magnifico and the likes. Watching these makes me reflect on myself.
  4. Listen To Christian Rock Songs. Even though I don't know and follow them, I listen to these types of music during most of the radio stations and music are out(at least for me). I enjoy listening to them on how they offer their message to their listeners.
  5. Read The Bible. You might get something inspirational from the book that would change your life. And this is the best time to read it.
  6. Join a Pabasa. In this activity, we read the Bible verses with melody. Some revolutionized it by making it a rap version. I really don't care because its boring for me.
  7. Visit A Church. They call it "Visita Iglesia" which translates to visiting a church. It's usually done during the evening of Maundy Thursday. The more, church you visit, the more your sins are forgiven (they say).
  8. Fast. Usually, my family fasts during Good Fridays. We only eat Champorado, Ginatan or Plain Lugaw to fast. You can be creative by eating bread or just drink water only.
  9. Unplug From The Internet. This is probably the best way of penance. Since we are already a slave of it, the season is a good reason to unplug from it. And you'll be relieved from all the ugliness and hate of the world.
These suggestions are just to keep us busy and remember God and what Jesus Christ has done. At least, it will give us self realizations and change into something good in us. And also ask for forgiveness from our sins.

Kapish!